Tuesday, October 4, 2011

If You're Happy and You Know It

After visiting with monks, I went to go find something for dinner. As I was looking at a menu at one place, 2 English girls invited me to join them.
One of the girls was talking about how she found something in her guest house saying how you could teach English in an orphanage/school just outside of town and said that she was going to do that the next day and asked me if I wanted to go along as well.
The next day I met Mandy at her hotel where we were picked up by 2 ladies on motor bikes and brought about 15 mins out of town to the school.
When we got there, we were politely greeted by all of the students, ranging from ages of about 4-10. They stood up and all said at the same time "hello teacher." we said hello back and they said "how are you today, teacher?" 
"good, thank you. And you."
"I'm fine thank you."
Neither of us was actually prepared to actually teach. We thought that we would just go and watch and help the kids by just speaking to them. But the one lady separated the class and sent me with 1/2 of them and Mandy with the other, giving us each a lesson plan. And that was it.
The second class was not as bad, because they did not separate the class this time, but the students in this class didn't know English as well, so it was a bit difficult. 
By the end of the second class, we were completely wiped out. Who ever knew teaching your native language could be so exacting!
By the time the 3rd class rolled around, we were more prepared. Mandy was a much better leader than I, so we kind of adapted roles. She would lead the class and I would go around the class helping the students out and giving her different ides of different games that we could play to help the visual learners.
The last class of the day was my favorite. They were 10-15 years old and really good at English by this point. So the lesson was a breeze and only took 1/2 the hour, so when we were finished, they asked us if they could teach us a game called 'I Went to the Zoo'. It was pretty much like a form of musical chairs. But instead of the loser getting out, the looser had to stand in the middle of the circle and sing a solo.  It was so much fun to see all of the kids getting into the game so much, walking around as monkeys, elephants and bears. Although, I think Mandy and I possibly got into it the most.
At the end of every class, they would sing a song together to say goodbye. They sang at the top of their lungs, 'if you're happy and you know it clap your hands.' I clapped my hands loudly. Because I was happy. And I knew it.
As we were leaving, all the kids came up to us one by one and thanked us for coming to their class, telling us it was so nice to meet us.
I know that one day doesn't do much, but I was very satisfied with what we had done, we had gone in there not knowing what to expect, and just had to stand up and make the best of the situation. I was very glad that Mandy was there tho, because I know I would have never been able to do it on my own.
I have heard many people debating if programs like this are good for the kids of not, some saying that it's really bad for the kids to have different teachers every week or every day, but after seeing this class, I disagree.
The kids have learned strictly from the tourists. The tourists were their only teachers. I agree, it would be better for them if they had one teacher there all the time, but a different teacher everyday or every week is so much better then no teacher at all.
I know in the big picture, we didn't do much, but I was happy that we could take what knowledge we did have and put it to some use. 

1 comment: