Since it was already so late when we got there and we were a bit wiped from the bus journey, we didn't do much except for going to the night market to try different types of cheap food.
Dalat is so much cooler than anywhere I've been yet in southeast Asia. It was like a whole different country. Instead of the markets having thin dresses and flip flops, all of the stands were selling thick socks and winter coats.
We were freezing, thinking that it must be pretty cold until we saw that it was in the high 60's-low 70's. I think Minnesota winters are going to kill me after this trip!
The next day we wanted to see the Elephant waterfalls, so we got a 1/2 tour to take us around. When we got to the waterfalls and were about to climb down, we saw a Vietnamese family having a picnic, so we waved at them. They waved us to come over, and as soon as we did, started shoving different foods and drinks at us and then taking photos with us.
As we were there, I saw someone else coming down the trail and I recognized him. He was a Finnish guy, Erkka, that I had met briefly in Kampot. Since our guides had been too lazy to come to the waterfalls with us, we went with him and his guide.
After the tour, we had agreed to meet up with Erkka for dinner. We were able to finally find a cheap place to eat that we all agreed on and that had no 'tourist' prices. It seems Vietnam always puts an extra charge on everything if you are a tourist.
No comments:
Post a Comment