Friday, October 21, 2011

Rain and rats

After I got my visa, I headed down to Kampot intending on crossing the border into Vietnam from the south. 
I found an alright place to stay that was a reasonable price and was satisfied with it until I woke up in the morning to find the jar of peanut butter that I had finally broke down and bought chewed open by a rat.
I stayed 2 nights in Kampot and it rained the whole time. I wanted to go to Vietnam by bus, but I found out that the only way to go strait to Vietnam without going back to Phnom Penh was to hire a moto to take you to the border. So that's what I did, I took my bags, checked out of my guest house and walked around till I was able to find a moto driver who was willing to take me from Kampot, across the Vietnamese border and then to Ha Tien, the closest town to the border for $10. 
The driver put my big back pack in front of him, then got on. I got on behind him wearing my small backpack. He gave me what looked like 1/2 of a giant ping pong ball to wear as a helmet and off we went.
The drive took about 2 hours to the border, but I really liked it. It's such a different experience to travel by moto rather than bus all the time. Yu can actually see everything that is going on around you. 
In true Cambodian style, my driver stopped a few times to do some of his personal business on the way.
The border was pretty strait forward, no one spoke English well, but somehow everything was figured out by playing gestures. 
Ha Tien was a very small town with not a whole lot to see, so I only spent one night. I took the mini bus the next day to Ho Chi Mahn City. 
The bus took about 7 hours with a few random stops along the way. One time when we were stopped, I really had to use the toilet. Some of the other people had gotten out, so I figured it was safe to also get out. I went to use the toilet, and when I came back, the van was gone. Apparently they weren't stopping, but we were in the middle of a traffic jam and the van had moved on, so I had to walk up the street until I found my van. Thankfully one of the ladies in my van had a very memorable face. 
Every time the van would stop, people from the streets would actually climb into the van and try to sell different stuff to you.
When I got yo Ho Chi Mihn, I didn't have a place to stay, but I did know the name of one place that I had seen on the Internet, so when the people cam swarming at me asking if I had a place to stay already, I said that name. No one had any idea where it was. They spent a 1/2 hour at least asking different people and calling all over the place to try to find out where it was. Finally they got the address and  by this point I felt so bad for all the hassle that I just decided to take the expensive moto ride anyway.
The driver spent forever trying to find the place, driving up and down the same street multiple times. Finally I told him that it didn't matter and I would just get off and find a place on my own. 
It didn't take me long at all to find a place with cheap dorms.

No comments:

Post a Comment