Monday, October 3, 2011

Chhum Reap Sou: How Do You Do?

From Siem Reap to Battambang I took a boat. The boat was not very big and the seats small, but the 7 hours was very scenic. We went first through some floating villages and then the floating forests. 
Going through the floating forest felt like a computer game. Every time a branch came by you either had to duck or you would get whipped across the face by it. 
When we got to Battambang, we were swarmed my tuk tuk and moto drivers trying to get us to go to different hotels and guest houses. I choose one that had dorms for $2 a night.
There was only 1 other person in my 4 person dorm room for the first night, a girl from China named LiYa who I got along really well right away and she invited me to go to the temple with her to take photos. When we got there, I realized that she actually knew some of the monks and was just going for a visit.
One of the monks had an English class and he asked me to go and talk to his students, so I went to attempt to teach English, although, I'm not much of a teacher.  I think that they actually taught me more Khmer then I English:
Chhum reap suo- how do you do? (when you first meet someone)
Suesday- hello
Soksuby te- how are you? 
Arkun- thank you
Man I te- you're welcome 
Som nang laaw- good luck
Chhum reap lear- goodbye 
LiYa left the next day, so I hired a motor bike driver to take me around for the day, first to the bamboo train, then to the killing caves, then to a temple on top of a hill and through the country side and small villages. 
The bamboo trains are exactly what they sound like. Literally, a bamboo plank with wheels and a motor.
When I got there, I had to wait for about 1/2 hour for other tourists to come to share a train with. I shared with a couple from Adelaide.
Our driver looked like he could have been 12 years old. We all got onto the plank and he drove us off. It was so much fun! On the way back, we met an oncoming train, so we all had to get off while the drivers disassembled the train, the other one went past, they put the triangle back together again and then we could go again.
I picked he right driver for the tour. When we got to the killing caves, he actually came with me, explained everything to me and even shared his heartbreaking, personal story about the Khmer Rouge years.
After he'd shown me the temple, we spent about an hour just driving around the country side, stopping every once in awhile to take photos or watch kids fish.
After I got back, I had promised the monk that I would come back again to his English class so I went again and ended up having a chat after with a few of the monks and a few of the students. 

No comments:

Post a Comment