Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Bangkok. Again.....

Once again, I found myself in Bangkok airport. Not happy about being back in the city, I found my way to the sky train to go into the city. At least this time, I knew what I was doing. Or at least thought I did…
I met an English girl, Emma, looking at the info, trying to figure everything out. We were both heading in the same direction, so we went together.
I, along with my master sense of directions, got us lost after getting off at the wrong stop. It took awhile for us to get back on track and find a bus, but it paid out, because by the time we found the street, we’d discovered that we were partially in the exact same place in life, after spending 2.5 years abroad, we were both on our way home and shared the same hatred for Kaohsan road. We figured that that must be something to bond over, plus were both running short of funds, so shared a room.
Since neither of us really wanted to be in the city, we spent the day walking around trying to find my flights to Manila. I managed to find some that left the next day really late, which ended up being perfect since Emma’s flight was also that day, so neither of us had to move to a single room.
After that was all figured out, and I could relax, we wondered around until we found a big parade. Apparently it was the king’s birthday in a few days, so they were all celebrating.
As  much as I didn’t want to be there, it was funny to see the city again from a new point of view. I remembered everything so clearly, every thought that I had and how inexperienced I was. I remember thinking it was so funny that people could tell that it was my first time in the city, but now I know how they could. It’s so easy to spot a new backpacker, especially in a city like that. Wandering around, map in hand and wide-eyed, trying to plan their every second. It’s funny how much a few months can change you. How you learn to deal with certain things and how relaxed you become.

No comments:

Post a Comment