Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Tuk tuk? Tuk tuk? Ping-pong show?

I arrived at the Bangkok airport Monday morning where I was greeted by a swarm of lady-boys and met up with Cat. We took a taxi together to the guest house and then went for a wander around the city. Bangkok is a very interesting city. There is an overwhelming amount of temples and you can buy  nearly anything in the streets; from cheap food to knock off sunglasses to fake ID's.
The Thai people seam to be very friendly and funny. If you stop for one second, one will come up to you, ask you where you are from, tell you to come into the shade, welcome you to Thailand, tell you their life story, ask you where you are going, if you've got a ticket, tell you to go to the TAT, snatch  your map, write all over it, demand that you go to the TAT, hail a tuk tuk for you, tell the driver that you want to go to the TAT (weather you want to or not), say bye bye and then walk away. I can't even begin to count how many times we've had that happen to us so far and we've only been here for 3 days.
It's hot and humid, I guess to make up for the lack of summer in Germany, and everything is pretty cheap. We are staying at a guest house with a private room for about $5 per night and you can easily get good meals for $6 or less and decent ones for about $1 or 2.
One night we went for a 'massage' where you stick your feet into a big tank of tiny fish and they swim around them eating off all the dead skin. It tickled so bad that it took me about 5 times before I was able to actually hold my feet in there. I probably wouldn't do it again, but it was funny and my feet did feel a bit softer afterword.
I realized after about the first day that I'd packed way too much stuff and wouldn't even need about half the things that I had brought, so I took about 1/4 of my clothes and sold then for $2 to a man with a sign that said 'we buy anything'.
A random but funny story: I was walking down the street and a little boy about 11 or 12 came up to me and handed me a flyer. I took it and walked away. He came running after me saying 'sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry'. Confused, I asked him why. His reply was 'I just call you fat man. Sorry. I meant you are beautiful.'

2 comments:

  1. Hahahaha!! Ah LAURA! I love your blog and im hardly into it yet!! Hahaha whats TAT? Cant wait to see you. an

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha what a cute little boy and how funny he has to explain that because you probably didnt even know he said it....? if he had to run back to tell you?...

    ReplyDelete